Sunday 29 July 2018

Travels

As I'm writing this, I'm sat at Incheon Airport in South Korea, ready to board a flight to go back home to Singapore after a whirlwind 12 days here. This trip marks the end of my crazy 5-country travel over the past 3 months. 

The last time I updated this blog, I became unemployed. Since then, I started making plans for myself. Plans in terms of travel, my future, my career. So maybe let's go with a timeline.

May: Bangkok 

XL was in Bangkok filming the new season of her show, and was staying in a beautiful apartment which was huge, so she offered a place for me to stay if I went over to visit and so I did. I booked a 3 day 2 night trip to Bangkok, barely packed anything, and then went over. It was kinda immediately after I left my job, and I felt like I really needed that break. SO was also coming over, so we coordinated our timings to go over around the same time, me heading over the morning of the Thursday, and her landing on Thursday night. I flew back on Saturday afternoon, and she left on the Sunday afternoon. It was fun going back to a place of familiarity. I went cafe hopping on the first day while XL went to work and I continued ticking off the cafe list I created at least 6 years ago. Maybe I'll make a separate post about the cafes I've been to in the future. Afterwards, went for dinner with XL and then walked around until SO arrived. The next day, we went for fancy brunch, followed by a luxurious massage at my fave massage spot. At night, we went to queue for this famous supper place. We got a number, then we were hesitant if we wanted to queue so long, so we headed to Chinatown but it was so boring so we tuktuk-ed back to the place and lo and behold, our number was next! We didn't have to wait in the queue at ALL GOD BLESS. The next day was pretty chill, we went to Terminal 21 and had lunch and dessert before I took the train to the airport and went back home. 

After coming back home, I started working with SB on stuff for the church and she is giving some allowance for helping her with weekly duties and whatnot so that's nice. I've been doing that for a while now, and it's easy stuff that I can do from home so that's nice. 

June: Malaysia, China, the United Kingdom

So June was pretty hectic. We had our church camp in Malaysia (as usual) in the first week of June, so we went over. At first, when I still had a job, I wasn't supposed to go but now that I was unemployed, I could go and honestly, it was just a blessing in disguise because I am so glad that I managed to go in the end. I got to chill with the cell, and create new memories. I got to listen to Pastor J preach again, which was nice. He was always really good at speaking and making you listen and breaking things down that would be simple enough for you to understand. The last night was us in B & N's room, playing random games and HTHT-ing and then we went down to 7-11 at like 2am, after a night of karaoke-ing with some of the usual suspects to get supper and ate it in their room until like 4am? Then went to my room to sleep. Before that though, while we were on the way up to their room, I said I wanted to stop by my room to get some stuff, and I couldn't find my card key in my bag, so we were searching for it, and S offered to hold onto my phone, which was plugged into my portable charger, which was in my bag, and then the lift door refused to stay open so it closed with my wire stuck in between and then it went up AND BROKE MY WIRE. So, there was that. It was a glorious sight. We all almost hyperventilated from laughing so hard from it. 

After church camp, we went home and had 1 day to pack for Shanghai. We were going to visit PY jiejie and family whilst also enjoying a lil family vacay. It was pretty stressful trying to navigate and translate for the family throughout the trip, but it was overall pretty enjoyable trip and I really enjoyed Shanghai. I think I would have fell in love with the place if it wasn't for the people to be honest. It was good to be with family again, and just exploring a new place, with new food and culture. I might get into more detail of each travel experience in separate posts because this might end up too long. 

We came back from Shanghai, and had less than 24 hours in Singapore before the Mum and I were to leave for the UK. She was going for a business trip, and I was tagging along. It was actually so much fun, and I really really miss it a lot. I think my mum saw it as the last real time that she and I could spend time together alone so I think this trip meant a lot to her, as much as it did to me I hope. We got to see more of England, rather than just London. We stayed in Royal Leamington Spa, and I also went to Stratford-Upon-Avon, Cardiff, and went up to Edinburgh in Scotland to visit J & family for a couple days. It was overall just such a wonderful experience. I also got to catch up with S in Edinburgh for a night and I really treasured the whole time there. I miss it a lot. I really do. I also made friends with some of mum's colleagues whilst being here. 

July: South Korea
Started July in Singapore, and ended the month in South Korea. YN, M, and N were all here for summer school, and since V was here too, I decided why not take a trip up here. I had about 2 1/2 weeks back in Singapore after the UK before I flew here and it was overall just a wonderful trip. I realized it was the first time I've really done a full on solo trip where I stayed all by myself and spent majority of my time alone. It was really a time for healing and spending time by myself and reflecting. It was so wonderful, and I really am grateful for this opportunity. I'll get into more detail in another post, but I got to get some K-POP experience here with M, spent a weekend in Jeju with YN, spent a day at a traditional jjimjilbbang with V (where I showered with a bunch of naked ladies wow that was an experience that totally made me question my self-confidence hahaha), and walked around a lot. By walk, I do mean, W A L K. 

Anyhoo, I should get going to my gate to prepare myself to board to head back to the Motherland. It has been quite a hectic 3 months, and I'm so blessed to have been able to do all of these things and travel so much. I'm also grateful to head back home now and get to stay grounded for a little bit. Til I get restless again. 

Til next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment