Tuesday 5 May 2015

Creative Writing

I want to talk about my creative writing class.

It's an extremely peculiar class. It's like a whole other world once you step through those doors. Which is both exciting, yet dreadful.

The first official class started with a 2-hour long discussion about anything, and everything under the weather. It ranged from Why I Write by George Orwell, to the questioning of true divinity and whether or not God was real.

That was a pretty painful experience. I mean, being a Christian, it wasn't exactly the best conversation to have. While I like questioning and learning more about my faith (I do believe that you shouldn't go about having blind faith. The world of Christianity is an extremely fascinating, and pretty violent, one and to explore the world is actually pretty darn wonderful.) but it also got to a point where it felt like the lecturer was just trying to tell us 'Don't believe in your God! Your God isn't real! Stop believing!', while at the same time, constantly repeating how the environment was a safe one and everyone was allowed to believe whatever they believed in.

That made me kind of nauseous, to be honest. If you want to talk about sensitive topics, I find it painful if you pick sides. It's hard not to, being human and all, but you are the one person supposed to moderate the conversation, aren't you?

However, we then came to the actual creative writing portion of the class where we examined poems and talked about them and it was wonderful. It felt good to finally read pieces of literary work again and being able to examine them... This is where bliss has been all along.

Anyway, why do I say that it's a peculiar class?

The lecturer himself is a very peculiar person. His thoughts fly everywhere, and there is no actual flow of a proper class. He just goes however he wishes and it's a pretty weird thing that happens. You just don't ever know what to expect in Creative Writing class.

It's a neither here nor there class... Which I guess is the reason for my conflicted feelings.

I'm just gonna go with it though. He's a strange man, but one filled a lot of knowledge and trivia, which makes it pretty exciting to learn from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment